Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Love and Anger" on MTV's Now Hear This 11/6/89

From: portal!cup.portal.com!Edward_Lee_Whiteside@apple.com
Date: Mon, 6-Nov-89 22:20:17 PST
Subject: "Love and Anger" on MTV's Now Hear This 11/6/89

Just caught the west coast feed of MTV's Now Hear This weekly show that
previews new videos and records.  They usually only show three complete
videos during the show and this week's show had "Love and Anger" as a "World
Premier Video" (but of course, it had been spotted over the weekend on MTV
already....).  As the person who saw the end of the video mentioned, at the
end Kate is dancing around in front of the band (which also includes Paddy
lip syncing to the background vocals and playing whatever instrument he uses
on the song.  The video starts out a lot different, with Kate in the light
from a spotlight above her doing a serious lip-sync to the song as dancing
girls and priests turn up and dance around her.  About the time of Gilmour's
guitar solo, Kate starts moving around a lot more and it turns into a
performance video with a backing band.  I'm sure others will find all sorts
of significant things in it to speculate on.  A couple of other notes on it.
The audio track is the same as the LP/CD track as far as I could tell.
I did sync up my CD to check that out and so I could hear the "Yes" at the
end, which was (as is usual MTV fashion) cut off to fade to the VJ.  Don't
know if the laugh is part of the video or not.  The comments leading in to
the video talked about Dave Gilmour discovering Kate "at the tender age of
16" and that he helped to produce her demos that got her a recording contract
No mention of who the director was or anything like that.  As for additional
showings, it will definitely be on the 120 Minutes show next weekend
(Midnight Sunday ET,PT 11 pm CT, 1 am MT) sometime during the two hour time
slot as mentioned at the end of this past weekend's show.   Now for the quest
to get the video WITHOUT them cutting off the end (had the same problem with
Kate getting in the van on Experiment IV).  The video should be listed on
MTV's playlist in the new Billboard, and next week should say which rotation
it is in.  If not for the band scene in the latter half of the video with
Dave Gilmour very prominent, I doubt if MTV would play it at all.

(Now, WHO has a copy of The Sensual World on NTSC? )