Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Deeper Understanding

From: Jimmy Liberato <harvard!unix.sri.com!amdahl!drivax!liberato@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 89 20:16:31 PST
Subject: Re: Deeper Understanding
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In rec.music.gaffa woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:

>As best as I can recall, the [addiction] of the protaganist to her computer
>is not resolved within the song. Her family removes her from the console,
>but her desire to sit down and "press execute" does not seem to be eradi-
>cated. Hence I think a more likely interpretation is that the protaganist
>*still* wants to be with her computer, but is forced to, thus the protag-
>anist singing forlornly "I hate to leave you..."

>woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu

Yes, I believe you're on the right track about the unresolved attachment.

One other point: the protagonist is repeatedly referered to as "she" by
everyone.  There is absolutely no evidence for this assumption and is
actually quite unlikely.  The pathological phenomenon described in the
song is almost exclusively in the male domain.  In addition to my own
observations I offer the interesting article in Omni of about a year
ago which covered this topic.  (Not at hand right now.)

Finally, I propose the final lines are a lament FROM the computer not
for it.  After all, it does have a "voice console" we are told.  The
voice used by Kate is also different from the rest of the song.  Even
my Amiga greets me at bootup with a perfectly digitized voice of HAL
from 2001 proclaiming: "I'm completely operational and all my circuits
are functioning perfectly."

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato