Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Is Kate trying to tell us something?

From: well!sommers@cogsci.berkeley.edu (William Sommers)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 07:50:33 pdt
Subject: Re: Is Kate trying to tell us something?
News-Path: pacbell!ames!lll-winken!uwm.edu!gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!bloom-beacon!GAFFA.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request

> Really-From: Douglas MacGowan <MACGOWAN@NIC.DDN.MIL>
>
> Well, I was in the car on my way to Tower Records in Mountain View
> when the big quake hit.  My roommate was in her car on the way to
> Tower Records in Campbell. Needless to say, we didn't get the album
> on the release date...
>
> I was able to buy the CD on Wednesday, but as we still have no
> electricity, it is sort of a moot point.
>
> The tragedy just keeps escalating.  October 17 is *not* going
> to be remembered as the album release date in this neck of the
> woods.

March 25, 1985:  Bill, now living in San Francisco, is hired by a
                 major biotech firm.

March 26, 1985:  Bill "discovers" USENET.

Early 1988:  Bill "discovers" rec.music.gaffa while browsing .newsrc
             one day. "<Gasp>... could it be?!!".

Early 1988, 90 seconds later:  Bill overcome with joy. Comes down a
               little as he remembers that he cannot send mail from
               this site, but nevertheless elated.

July 7, 1989:  Bill leaves company, thinking he will hook into
               USENET via FidoNet in a matter of days. Wrong. Bill
               spends next months in travel; calls record stores
               every few weeks to check on _TSW_ status; pretty
               much blows off work on his BBSs; generally maintains
               state of relaxed enjoyment, aided by _obsKuriTies_2_
               (thanks IED!) and partially fueled by knowledge of
               an imminent release by KT.

Oct 13, 1989:  Bill learns of 10/17 release date. Some Friday 13th!
               (or perhaps an omen?) Finds self in state of
               euphoria; arranges temporary USENET connection and
               awaits validation on Monday; spends weekend literally
               tingling with anticipation; can think of nothing
               other.

Oct 16, 1989:  Three days out of warranty, Bill's CD player dies.
               Cannot possibly phase him at this point: No problem,
               will buy new one tomorrow.

Oct 17, 1989:  Finally validated. Bill demonstrates self-restraint
               of near-mythic proportions--does not even break
               daily routine until early PM. Downloads past month
               of L-H for later perusal. Buys _TSW_. Buys new Sony
               CDP-C8ESD. Straps both to rear of motorcycle and
               returns home. Savoring the sheer joy of the moment,
               brews coffee, hooks up new toy, inserts disc and
               even takes time to scan instructions and name disc.
               Pours coffee, turns off all computer equipment in
               adjoining room and thermostat in attempt to achieve
               near silence and turns volume on stereo way up. Has
               now been involved in this ridiculous foreplay for
               20 minutes.

Oct 17, 5:04pm:  Bill presses "play" on remote control. Beautiful
               strains of tolling bells begin to emerge from the
               speakers. The earth begins to tremble. Suddenly,
               those possessions which are not already flying
               across rooms are cascading to the floor. At the
               instant Her voice enters this scene, the house is
               slammed by a single shockwave so violent as to
               defy description, and the music ceases.

I spare you the ensuing progression of events. Suffice it to say
the house still stands, it was 48 hours before my first listening
and the final lines of my responses to the myriad "What were _you_
doing?" queries were along the lines of "...I know Her music's
powerful, but...", "...I knew Her Voice could make _me_ tremble,
but...", "...incredibly moving...", "...She really breaks new
ground...", etc.(ad nauseum).

So you see, Doug, for me, the two events shall forever remain
intertwined. (You all were pretty sure I was going to eventually
make some point or another, right?) ;)

Thank you, Love-Hounds, for indulging me...

- Bill -  == UUCP: sommers@well (no .signature yet!) ==