Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A few initial TSW comments after a week

From: archet!wlm@uunet.UU.NET (William L. Moran Jr.)
Date: 27 Oct 89 03:54:36 GMT
Subject: Re: A few initial TSW comments after a week
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I'm somewhat disappointed by TSW, but not nearly as much as I was when
I first got it. I think that in some ways it is much harder to listen
to than HOL, for example. However, I notice new things each time I
listen to it (for example the very strange things KT does with her
voice in Rocket's Tail). While I don't think I will ever like it as
much as The Dreaming, HOL or Lionheart, I think it is probably the
best rock album I've bought this year. In some ways this is a very
frustrating album to listen to because of the way in which the songs
tend not to blend into each other. I'm not sure this is easy to
explain, but The Dreaming is a great album without having any of the 5
best KT songs (IMHO) (similarly with Dark Side of the Moon). I like a
number of the songs on TSW, but there are too many places where it
grabs me and then lets me down (i.e. tsw -> love and anger, the fog ->
reaching out, heads we're dancing -> deeper understanding). In all of
these cases, I like the first song and feel neutral at best about the
second. *sigh* too bad, I was hoping it would top The Dreaming, but
that may be impossible even for Kate Bush.

				Bill Moran

--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william