Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Laurie!

From: boris@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Boris "bootstrap" Goldowsky)
Date: 26 Oct 89 16:15:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Laurie!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.misc
Sender: news@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

In article <8910260421.AA07508@ariel.unm.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo@ariel.unm.edu>
>
>As you probably know by now, Marq, Strange Angels *is* the new Laurie.
>
>Reviews, please!

Well, I'm not a reviewer, but I did see her performance, "Empty
Places", and have heard the album "Strange Angels", which came out
Tuesday.  They only overlap a bit, and the arrangements are quite
different (the performance was much more mysterious and stark and
sometimes shrill than the record).

The music is definitely different from the style of her previous
albums; it's has more melody and song in it.  You may have heard that
Laurie has been taking voice lessons; according to an article in the
NY Times, she wrote one of the songs and then when she went to
rehearse it realized she didn't know how to sing that kind of stuff.
I like it, but only since I stopped expecting it to be like the Laurie
Anderson I knew.

Maybe I'll try my hand at writing a real review sometime, after I've
listened to the album a few more times.  But I wanted to ask if anyone
else out there saw the performance?  I'd be interested in hearing what
your impressions were.  Did anyone happen to tape it?

Bng