Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Sensual World in Northern Virginia

From: davis@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Arthur Davis x4675)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 89 21:44:15 EDT
Subject: The Sensual World in Northern Virginia

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Washington DC metro
area, there is only one radio station around that is ever likely to
play Kate's stuff.  It just so happens that there is also only one
self-styled "progressive" station around.  The same one of course.
WHFS, 99.1 in Annapolis, Maryland.  For all I know, the University
of Maryland may have a first-rate radio station.  Haven't heard
about it myself though.  Anyway, WHFS has featured Kate rather
nicely.  They have a Sunday night 2 hour new music show.  2 weeks
ago we got the first sound of the single and last week they featured
the new album a bit.  I wasn't waiting breathlessly for the second
show as I had the album myself by then.

The frustrating thing in many ways has been the record stores.  Tower
Records has stores in DC and in Northern Va. (Tysons Corner).  Neither
one was very encouraging when called before the album was out:

"Do you know when the new Kate Bush single or album will be out?"

"Kate who?"

I know it's just the hired help and all, but when I called thea local
Kemp Mill Records (as far as I know, this is just a DC area chain),
they not only knew who Kate was but knew what the album's name was,
when it was coming out, and what other albums of hers they had on sale.
I assume this is the hired help too, so my hat's off to Kemp Mill.
I ended up getting TSW at Kemp Mill for $10.99 on CD while Tower is
charging $13.99 for it.

The album has been selling well according to the same Kemp Mill.  They
featured it on the top row in the first slot of the new release
section.  Another tip of the hat.

But tonight I was shocked when I checked in at Tower (looking for
the New Music Express Kate interview issue).  They have this display
of the current Top 25 albums and TSW was holding the #1 spot.  Seems
the album has been selling quite well.  Perhaps a cultural revolution
is set to break out around here.  As a bonus, TSW was playing over the
store speakers.

Maybe there's hope for America after all ...

Arthur Davis
davis@bdmrrr.bdm.com