Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kali

From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 13:54:36 PDT
Subject: Re: Kali
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Quoted-From: munnari!ditmela.oz.au!Brian.May@uunet.UU.NET (Brian May)
>Kali is the seventh incarnation of THE god Vishnu, in the Hindu religion. This
>incarnation signifies the "end of the world as we know it" when Kali gets on
>his white horse for a bit of a canter.  If you want to know more & read a
>good book at the same time, pick up Gore Vidal's 'Kalki'.

Wrong.  You are confusing Kali and Kalki.  Kali is the black goddess of
destruction, sometimes paired with Shiva (whose more usual mate is
Shakti).  Virtually any book on Hindu mythology will have more
information than anyone cares to know about Kali, and I recommend that
anyone interested simply pick up some such book and read it.  She is
one of the best known of all Hindu goddesses.  I also recommend reading
Joseph Campbell's notes on the subject in THE MASKS OF GOD, even though
Campbell underestimates the role of later demonization by patriarchal
cultures when dealing with the malefic aspects of the early
agricultural goddesses.

"Women's wages are 56% of men's -- but that's not necessarily evidence
 of discrimination in employment."
  -- Clayton Cramer in news.groups and soc.women