Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Times review

From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 13:48:22 PDT
Subject: Re: Times review
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Someone named Neil posted a copy of this:

>Review of The Sensual World from The Times, Friday October 13th.
>
>                A little girl lost in waffle
>		   David Sinclair
>  While there has always been something faintly ridiculous about Kate
>  Bush's over-mannered vocal style, her best songs have had a tang as
>  sharp as fresh lemon on the palate. It is not a quality to be found
>  in the current single, "The Sensual World", a drifting piece of
>  atmospheric waffle.
>
>  The number is, unfortunately, typical of the album of the same title,
>  a woefully studio-bound extravaganza which, in the wake of "Hounds of
>  Love", it has taken La Bush no less than four years to complete. She has
>  overplayed her hand and the collection is beset by a sluggish undertow
>  resulting from too many meandering or overwrought arrangements being
>  applied to melodies of a generally slight and nebulous nature.
>
>  *********************************************************************
>
>Blame him not me!

Why blame anyone but Kate?  This is certainly her worst album.

I was astonished at how close his impressions of the album were to
mine.  I really can't believe she would do an album this bad, this
silly, after HOUNDS OF LOVE.  "Disappointment" does not begin to
describe my reaction.  I agree with Sinclair on almost every point,
particularly his criticism of the wandering nature of most of the
songs:  I also thought the word "meandering" on first listening.  It is
a lifeless patchwork of haphazardly conjoined instrumental and vocal
tracks, full of technical skill and empty of any genuine feeling or
poetry.  The album is practically devoid of verbal rhythym, and is
certainly devoid of any original insight into the nature of existence
or even of art.

The cover picture is inane, and it accurately sets the tone for the
entire album.  Only a dyed-in-the-wool KT fanatic, to whom the inner
voice of applause is far louder than the voice of the music, could call
this album a success.

"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." -- Patti Smith