Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"The F.B.I. Hates This Band" (Was: Canadians)

From: sulak@ge-dab.GE.COM (John M. Sulak)
Date: 19 Oct 89 22:02:53 GMT
Subject: "The F.B.I. Hates This Band" (Was: Canadians)
Newsgroups: alt.activism, alt.california, alt.rock-n-roll, rec.music.cd, rec.music.misc, rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.dementia, talk.politics.misc, misc.legal, misc.headlines

There has been much talk on the net about freedom of speech and banned
words. Specifically, who has a less repressive government, the citizens of the
United States or the citizens of Canada. Personally, I think we both have a
lot for which we should be grateful; most places in the world are far
worse. But freedom is something peoples must continually fight to maintain,
because there are those who would take it away if given the chance. Most
"new legislation" is really "new reductions in freedom".

Anyway, I've enjoyed the heated discussion, and in the spirit of throwing
gasoline on the fire, I am posting a short exert from a lengthy article in
the Village Voice of October 10, 1989, page 33-34. The cover of that issue
proclaimed in bold letters: "THE F.B.I. HATES THIS BAND". The article was
by Dave Marsh and Phillis Pollack and is called, "Wanted For Attitude"

 # How's this for government intimidation? In early August, a letter
 # arrived on the desk of Priority Records president Brian Turner. Written on
 # Department of Justice stationary, it was just three paragraphs long:
 #
 ## A song recorded by the rap group N.W.A. on their album entitled
 ## "Straight Outta Compton" encourages violence against and disrespect for the
 ## law enforcement officer and has been brought to my attention. I understand
 ## your company recorded and distributed this album, and I am writing to share
 ## my thoughts and concerns with you.
 ##
 ## Advocating violence and assault is wrong, and we in the law enforcement
 ## community take exception to such action. Violent crime, a major problem in
 ## our country, reached an unprecendented high in 1988. Seventy-eight law
 ## enforcement officers were feloniously slain in the line of duty during
 ## 1988, four more than in 1987. Law enforcement officers dedicate their
 ## lives to the protection of our citizens, and recordings such as the one
 ## from the N.W.A. are both discouraging and degrading to these brave,
 ## dedicated officers.
 ##
 ## Music plays a significant role in society, and I wanted you to be aware of
 ## the FBI's position relative to this song and its message. I believe my
 ## views reflect the opinion of the entire law enforcement community.
 #
 # The letter was signed by Milt Ahlerich, an FBI assistant director, who
 # describes himself as the bureau's chief spokesman and who says he reports
 # directly to Director William Sessions. Ahlerich says his letter represents
 # the FBI's "official position" on the record by N.W.A...But he also says he
 # hasn't heard the song. Neither he nor the bureau owns a copy. Ahlerich
 # didn't ask N.W.A. or Priority for the oft-unintelligible lyrics; he got
 # them - or something purporting to be them - from unnamed "concerned
 # officers." ...
 #
 # Ahlerich isn't the only cop incensed by [the song,] "---- Tha Police". An
 # informal police network faxes messages to police stations nationwide,
 # urging cops to help cancel concerts by N.W.A., a group based in Compton,
 # California. Since late spring, their shows have been jeopardized or aborted
 # in Detriot (where the group was briefly detained by the cops), Washington,
 # D.C., Chattanooga, Milwaukee, and Tyler, Texas. N.W.A. played in Cincinnati
 # only after Bengal linebacker and City Councilman Reggie Williams and
 # several of his teammates spoke up for them. During the summer's tour,
 # N.W.A. prudently chose not to perform "---- Tha Police" (its best song),
 # and just singing a few lines of it at Detriot's Joe Louis Arena caused the
 # Motor City police to rush the stage. While the cops scuffled with the
 # security staff, N.W.A escaped to their hotel. Dozens of policemen were
 # waiting for them there, and they detained the group for 15 minutes. "We
 # just wanted to show the kids," an officer told The_Hollywood_Reporter,
 # "that you can't say 'fuck the police' in Detriot."
 #

 ********
"The war on drugs is a war on the Constitution and a war on the American
people. It must be stopped" David Nolan, Libertarian Party, 1-800-682-1776
 ********
Standard Disclaimer: These may not be my opinions, my employer's opinions,
a devil's advocate's opinions, or anyone else's opinions; in fact they may
not even be opinions!!! :-) :-)
 ********