Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

9.wave / Rocket / to Capt. Eo

From: Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu
Date: 19 Oct 89 10:15:18
Subject: 9.wave / Rocket / to Capt. Eo

eric olson writes:
> Has anyone brought up the possibility that _The Fog_ is a revisitation
> of the character in _the Ninth Wave_
Yes, Jon Drukman and I have both mooted this, though not too seriously.
I'd like to hear more, especially any solid harmonic or melodic links.

> Is anyone alive [in SF?] What an inopportune time for the big one.
Rumour had it yesterday that the experts say this was _not_ ,
as we say in technical terms, "the big one."  Though in terms of human
damage, causing a power outage while someone listened to _TSW_ for
the first time is a disaster unique in the history of both quakes and Kate.

> the one I didn't quite get into yet is "Rocket's Tail,"
> though I suspect ... I'll like it the best on the album like everyone else.
Count me _out_ of everyone there.  I really don't like "Rocket" much
at all.  It is too long by half, and if I for some reason _wanted_ to hear
Pink Floyd, I'd go buy DSotM.  What was it that reviewer said: "the most
cliche guitar solo in rock history"?  _Yes_.

Personally, _I_ like _Heads_, _Fog_, _Reaching Out_....
come to think of it, I guess I like everything on side one.  I'm willing
to bet I'll like the backing vocals on side two better once I have the CD.

Speaking of the CD, I couldn't resist checking the Dartmouth book store
yesterday.  They wanted $17 for it.  I offered them $12.  My reasoning
was that I was going to buy this album this week, and I was going to
pay $12 for it.  I was _probably_ going to do this at Newbury Comics
in Boston on Friday, but it was _possible_ that I could do it in their store,
and I just thought I'd offer them the chance.

Well, they did let me hold it for a few minutes.

I was going to ask someone to take a look at the album and check just
how many tracks Michael Nyman worked on, but I'll be buying it
tomorrow myself, so never mind.