Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: So happy to be alive...

From: greg@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear)
Date: 18 Oct 89 14:19:17 GMT
Subject: Re: So happy to be alive...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

In article <8910180204.AA04467@m.cs.uiuc.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
>
>...Kate seems to have mellowed a bit...that impenetrable wall erected in The
>Dreaming and fortified by such Ninth Wave songs as Waking the Witch and
>Jig of Life has all but crumbled and been replaced by a new peace....

Yeah, no challenges, no adventurous undertakings, no chances taken, not much
of real substance to latch onto.

>For me, and for Kate, this album represents a couple of firsts:
>
>2) (referring to Trio Bulgarka being the first female BVs for Kate):
>   How perfectly appropriate that it be 3 sixty-some year old Bulgarian
>   women.  If any females could have persevered enough to attain a
>   Kately enough level to be allowed to sing on her album, I guess they
>   could.

I'm sorry, but Trio Bulgarka (especially on "Rocket's Tail") blow Kate out
of the water.  No question of them working for decades to reach the level of
ability to be allowed to sing on her album; they outshine Kate something
fierce.  At least on this album, Trio Bulgarka provide the most interesting
and amazing vocals, period.

>...The only (minor) complaint I have is with Heads We're Dancing, which,
>despite having the best title of any song on the album, would be better
>off not referring to Hitler.  Kate says in NME that she'll be angry if
>anyone is offended by this song, but this unfortunately reflects Kate's
>lack of full understanding of the profundity of the Holocaust and said
>genocidists crucial role therein.  Hitler's crimes against society are
>so heinous, that even a cautious reference tends to trivialize these
>acts.  I, and many to whom I am close, feel strongly that allusion to
>Hitler in any light (e.g. his human side, attractiveness in the midst
>of "devil," etc.), however fleeting and cautious, must simply be
>avoided no matter the temptation.

How thin-skinned can one be?  You acknowledge that Kate did not intend to
offend anyone, yet you insist on being offended by the mere mention of
Hitler's name.  Further, you state that Kate is therefore largely unaware
of what Hitler and his men did and stood for.  This sounds like something
from "Life of Brian".  "Hitler was a corporal in WWI" "Blasphemy!  You said
_Hitler_!"  Give the lady some credit for knowing the history of her own
country....
--

Greg O'Rear
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department, University of Florida