Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: I requested it.

From: gatech.edu!mit-eddie!gaffa.mit.edu!jsd@cs.utexas.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 89 14:16:57 GMT
Subject: Re: I requested it.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>
>I was talking with Vickie Mapes last night.  She can't understand
>why so many people don't like "Reaching Out".  She loves that song!
>(Actually, I'm one of those who think it's definitely below par for
>Kate, but I don't hate it.)

I think |>oug had hit the nail on the head when he said it was a
histrionic Barbara Streisand reject, or something (probably kinder)
like that.  I mean, there's not much in it really.  Strangely, it's
one of the songs where Kate really lets her vocal chords loose on
this LP, yet it's also one of the worst.

I do not agree with |>oug that "Love and Anger" is in a league with
this tune.  Although "love..." has "american top 40 radio hit"
tattooed all over it in bright magic marker, it's still an incredibly
catchy little number.  I just wish it didn't rip the Big SKy so much.
They're even in the same key!

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this `kinder,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | gentler' crap is killing us." - D.Trump |