Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Keeping Me Waiting

From: munnari!wraith.cs.uow.oz.au!stephen@uunet.UU.NET (The Mighty Ogbo)
Date: 13 Oct 89 00:33:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Keeping Me Waiting
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8910060009.AA06712@hpfcmi.HP.COM>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: rdg@hpfcmi.hp.com
>

> I've got a question about the song "Keeping me Waiting" that appears
> on the Cathy Demos. There's a line that goes something like:
>
>    I've seen many strange things/shooting stars, stars and stripes
>
> Is the phrase "stars and stripes" supposed to mean the USA, and if so,
> why exactly does she consider is _strange_?

Oh no, someone called the Americans _strange_. Must agree with Kate here. You
have a weird culture. We have a saying here, generally used after watching some
weird US news story - "only in America..." :-)

Never mind, I'm sure you'll all get over it. Let's hope you can survive it!
Fortunately, all the best music from overseas (relative to Oz.) comes from the
UK.

Stephen Nicholson (The Mighty Ogbo)                    stephen@wraith.cs.uow.oz

"I'll bet you're the sort of bloke who pulls his undies out of his bum with his
 finger when he's talking to someone..." - Black Alice - "Sons of Steel"