Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: usenet@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 15:48:35 PDT

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Jon Drukman's theories
Date: 10 Oct 89 22:48:35 GMT
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

>Really-From: gatech.edu!mit-eddie!gaffa.mit.edu!jsd@cs.utexas.edu (Jon Drukman)
>
>>The problem is, neither quite makes sense to me yet.  If it's
>>metaphorical, then why does she mention the year being 1939?
>
>Ah, now we get into historical significance.  As I learned in my
>English class this week (the same one that gave us a handout of
>the Molly Bloom soliloquy from Ulysses last week -- I think this
>guy is a secret Kate fan), 1939 is the year when WWII really got
>underway, or at least the events prompting it.  This is the year
>that Hitler invades Czechoslovakia.

Are you trying to make me look like a fool?  Of course I know
that 1939 was the year WWII began, by Germany's invasion of
Poland.  My point was that if the Hitler line is meant metaphorically,
then the year is irrelevant  -- she could be singing about one of
today's mass murderers.  But since you believe that the line is
meant literally (a view I actually share), then this discussion
is unnecessary.

>>On the other hand, I can't imagine that anybody in Germany in
>>1939 could possibly fail to recognize Adolf Hitler!
>
>Ah, now you're reading into the song a meaning that isn't there
>at all.  Who ever said it took place in Germany?  Maybe it takes
>place in Czechoslovakia the day before the invasion.  Chew on
>that one!

No, I can't accept this either.  I simply can't believe that
anybody in Europe in 1939 wouldn't recognize Hitler -- unless
Kate is portraying a very stupid girl in this song.  Is this
what you're suggesting?  And, as far as I know, Hitler never
left Europe in 1939.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)
Dept. of Applied Science, UC Davis/Livermore
ed@das.llnl.gov
It appears that I now can get UUNET to work. So feel free to write to me.