Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jane Siberry

From: donley@blake.acs.washington.edu (Erik Olson)
Date: 10 Oct 89 05:19:28 GMT
Subject: Re: Jane Siberry
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8910092155.AA08326@apple.com> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Marq Laube <marq@apple.com>
>
>I just read someone's message that mentioned Jane Siberry's new album, Bound by
>the Beauty.  I have to admit, I like Jane's music as much as Kate's (but it goes
>down quickly after that), so you can imagine my chagrin when I found out Janes
>new album is (vaguely) Country Western!
>
>However, as a devoted Jane listener, I tried listening again and again (while I
>might add, choking back tears) and the most amazing thing happened.  The Country
>Western parts started to disappear and the full force of Jane's amazing talent
>started to shine through.  It is an excellent album, and I highly recommend it.
That exact phenomenon happened to me when I bought the new album (on CD, no
less).  Brought the sucker home, cranked it up, and heard "Country?!"  But
after a couple more listens I discovered that (1) Only side 1 has "Country"
style-music on it, and (2) there's a lot of subtelties in the style that
actually make it a little different than your generic "country" song.  For
instance, on one cut in the refrain the rhythm goes briefly into 5/4 time
(one of her "devices"), and some of the harmony gets a little weird, not
to mention the lyric structure (or lack of it in some cases).

What I want to know is what the heck is going on in her life that she
suddenly puts out a "gosh, isn't life great" album after the very angry
and disallusioned compositions in _The Walking_.  Any clues?

  - Eo
    (donley@blake.acs.washington.edu)