Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

NME Interview

From: sco!scol!declann@uunet.uu.net
Date: Fri Oct 6 13:49:04 1989
Subject: NME Interview

I'm sure someone else will have posted about this before mine
reaches the net but anyway....

This weeks New Musical Express (NME) carries a long interview
with Kate and her face adorns the cover. I don't have it here
with me though I'm sure, even as we speak, someone is busily
typing it or parts of it in. Anyway it deals mainly with the
new album and has plentiful extracts from the single and from
Ulysses (Molly's speech) scattered throughout. She explains
how the lyrics for _The Sensual World_ (I refuse to abbreviate
such an excellent title !) came about. Apparently, she first
wrote the songs with lyrics directly lifted from the text of
Ulysses but was forced to change them somewhat when she was
refused permission to use the text.

By the way, the article revealed this bit of lyric :

"Took six big wheels and _rolled_ our bodies" etc.

which I for one couldn't figure out.

At the end of the article, Kate "reviews" all the songs on the
album. Being one of the great unwashed who has yet to lay his
hands on a promo cassette, I can't comment on her comments.
For those of you horrible people who have heard the album
already, I'm sure her comments will be of intense interest.

She also talks at length about the ethnic feel to the album,
what with the Trio Bulgarka and various Irish musicians playing
on it, and how she felt the these two ethnic influences gelled
together.

Anyway, if you wish to hear Kate's own feelings about the new
disc, I suggest you grab a copy of this.

Declan

P.S  I've be reading this newsgroup for about 8 months now (this
is only my second posting, folks, guess I'm a bit reticent than
others on the net !) but I'd really like to hear more about the
MUSIC (especially Kate's), and not irrelevant articles on the
use of English or endless argument between Andrew and Doug about
there individual interpretations. So come on everyone, lets hear
it for the Big Music :->  And lets try to forget ego's and
ego-bashing.

Declan Nolan
SCO Ltd, UK

UUCP: ..!ukc!pyrltd!scol!declann
	or
declann@santa-cruz.co.uk
	or
declann@sco.COM

"Oh God ! Not another one with the promo cassette !!,
 You people make me SICK !!!"