Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Is Kate Bush the only thing discussed here?

From: donley@blake.acs.washington.edu (Erik Olson)
Date: 6 Oct 89 20:05:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Is Kate Bush the only thing discussed here?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: caeco!i-core!pete@uunet.UU.NET (Pete Ashdown)
>

>I checked into this news group a month ago to see what kind of
>progressive music discussion was discussed here.  All I found was talk
>of Kate Bush's new album.  I figured, "No problem, I'll check in
Have you ever looked at Rec.arts.startrek?  You'll find 10x the volume
just in discussion of the newest episode of _TNG_ when it comes out.

>mean, Kate Bush is good, but does she really deserve to have a whole
>newsgroup dedicated to her?
Yeah, if enough people have the interest to post.

>Am I completely alone on this?  Does anyone care to discuss the
>happenings of groups like The Pixies, The Primitives, Throwing Muses,
>and They Might Be Giants?
Yes, you will probably find the posting volume will go down in a year or so,
once the album's been out a while, and the other discussions will seem to
take up all the space (I seem to remember a time when XTC was on every
header for about a month or so).

Why don't you post something about these, and see if you get some interest?
I would personally like to hear from sone of the Jane Siberry fans ,
but they apparently need to stay in the closet lest they be trampled on by the
rabid "Kate Bush is God.  All the rest suck" crowd.  You will find, though,
that most of the people will talk about other music too.

>Could someone change the 'official' description to something more
>generic (ie: remove Kate Bush)?
Well, considering that |>oug came up with the original mailing list, and
had at least something to do with the creation of the double-gated
newsgroup, it would be up to HIM, and I think I know what his answer would
be (and would agree with it! -- Of course, that's assuming something about
what a person would say, and I could get flamed for that). :-|

  - Erik Donley Olson
    (Eo)
   "Pay here chimpanzee Don't park under the aviary"  - Adrian Belew