Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

ita re til hl eht ot s K nah T ym

From: Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu
Date: 06 Oct 89 09:49:47
Subject: ita re til hl eht ot s K nah T ym

> pwoodruf's theory about _Walk_Straight_Down_the_Middle_

Come on, let's have some more theories about what the songs
mean/are about/are based on.  (Could it just possibly be that noone
is speaking up yet because hardly anyone has heard the album?)
I'd really like to know what's behind _WSDTM_.  Also _Heads_
we're_Dancing_.  Also all the rest, for that matter.  IED?
Is the line in _HWD_ really "it was a picture of Hitler"?

> the show "Hair" used a passage from Shakespeare as the lyrics
> for the song "What a Piece of Work is Man".  And the Byrds(?) adapted
> a passage from Ecclesiastes for one of their songs (I'm not sure what
> the actual title was, but the chorus starts with "To everything, turn, turn,
> turn, there is a season, turn, turn turn").

Good work.  I have heard both; they slipped my mind.  I am particularly
surprised that I didn't remember the piece from "Hair" because I have
discussed its unusual nature with friends on several occasions.

>>" The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there. "
>>                                                            attribution,
anyone?
> L. P. Hartley, of course.  Hasn't every Love-Hound read _The Go-Between_?
> (Or at least seen Harold Pinter's great screenplay)  Surely you didn't
expect
> that one to stump us!  :) :)
> Jimmy Liberato

Actually, I asked because I didn't know!  So evidently _not_ every
Love-Hound has read _The_Go-Between_.  I guess I will.
I got the quotation from the side of a bag from Sherratt & Hughes
bookshops when I was in Britain this summer.

I just dug out the bag and noticed that in smaller print it says
"opening of the go-between by l p hartley".  But I still wouldn't know
this if you hadn't replied!  Again, good work.

This sets a frightening precedent.  Whenever I don't know something,
I can just post the question to love-hounds!  Actually, I have this
thesis problem ...

> Why does anyone assume the phrase "Nice To Swallow" refers to oral sex?
> Would you have made the same assumption if the speaker had been a man?

I am a heterosexual male.  If I had thought of calling "Night of the Swallow"
"Nice to Swallow" (actually, I sort of wish I had) my friends would correctly
assume that I meant it as a sexual joke.

>>   origin, why it's "ied", you name it.  [...]
> You mean to say it's not 'In Excelsior Deus'?!

Or just possibly "in excelsis deo"

>_Just_Like_a_Prayer_ are considered "subversive".

That song is titled _Like_a_Prayer_.  (Big whoop.)

> Could someone change the 'official' description to something more
> generic (ie: remove Kate Bush)?

Is this hoser serious?  I can't tell.  Do you want to cuss him out or should
I?

  "the past is a foreign country: they do things differently there"
                               -- l p hartley