Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ita re til hl eht ot s K nah T ym

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 89 10:22:05 EDT
Subject: Re: ita re til hl eht ot s K nah T ym
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu
>
>> pwoodruf's theory about _Walk_Straight_Down_the_Middle_
>
>Come on, let's have some more theories about what the songs
>mean/are about/are based on.  (Could it just possibly be that noone
>is speaking up yet because hardly anyone has heard the album?)
>I'd really like to know what's behind _WSDTM_.  Also _Heads_
>we're_Dancing_.  Also all the rest, for that matter.  IED?
>Is the line in _HWD_ really "it was a picture of Hitler"?

I love that WSDTM theory.  And IED's addendum about the bird noises being
a horde of crazed Hitchockian birds attacking makes PERFECT SENSE!  I
realize IED was being tongue in cheek, but it WORKS, doesn't it?  It's
a song about SHEER URBAN HELL!  BRILLIANT!  Who woulda thought?

Heads We're Dancing is a mystery still.  Since Julian has supported
my half-assed theory that the line is "it's a picture of Hitler" (a
theory I have only confided to Ed Suranyi), then I guess we must be
right.  There seems to be a line where Kate says "It was 1939 before
the music started" as well.  1939, is of course, the year in which
Adolf invaded Czechoslovakia.  The rest of the song makes no sense to
me yet.  I can't understand what happens if the coin toss comes up
tails.  Does he annex Poland right away or something?

I really think _Rocket's_Tail_ is about suicide.  The opening a-capella
bits feature lines where Kate talks about dressing up like a rocket,
standing on the edge of a bridge, and plunging into the night.  Sadly,
once all the raucous guitar stuff starts, I can't understand a word
she says, except for the unbelievably soulful cries of "Take a little
fire!" which is a terribly ambiguous phrase...

_Deeper_Understanding_ is pretty self-evident.  The only question that
lingers is: who is talking at the end of the song?  |>oug and I have
been fighting about this one.  I say that the narrator has been forcibly
ripped away from the only thing in the world that ever gave her love and
understood where she was coming from, so she sits alone, crying softly
to herself: "I hate to leave you."  |>oug thinks that the computer is
saying this.

Well, here's  three big tunes to discuss.  I've started "rolling the
ball," so why don't you people jump in?  Come on, you won't look
completely foolish until the lyrics sheets come out anyway...

"Do you wanna dance?"

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "A man's home is his coffin."        |