Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tangerine Dream

From: lorch <@JHMAIL.HCF.JHU.EDU:lorch@JHUNIX.BITNET>
Date: 5 Oct 89 20:48:07 GMT
Subject: Re: Tangerine Dream
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

>"Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>> P.S.  What do people think about Tangerine Dream?  Their newest stuff is
>> almost as bad as their earliest, but from about 1978 to about 1986 (from
>> Tangram to Underwater Sunlight, roughly) they were incredible.  Does
>> anybody know if they have a new third member yet, since Chris Franke
>> left?

I think I'd agree that most of their best stuff came from 1977 (Stratosphear
is my favorite) to the mid-1980's, but I like a lot of their recent albums
as well.  "Optical Race" is an excellently crafted pop album - much as I
liked the longer, side-long pieces, I think they've done a great job on
the shorter songs.  I *really* like their soundtrack to "Legends", and I
think Le Parc is pretty good, too.

The newest guy is named Ralph Wadephul (I'm pretty sure that's how you
spell his last name.  I don't think he's appeared on an album yet, except
for one cut on "Optical Race".  He should be on the new one, "Lily on the
Beach", which is supposed to be out any day now on Private Music label.
He, like the first new guy, is in his early to mid 20's.  Don't it make
ya sick? 8-}

--
John Lorch                      UUCP:   mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!lorch
Johns Hopkins University        ARPA:   lorch@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu