Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vast inferiority, Grammies, and Animal Logic

From: duane@EBay.Sun.COM (Duane Day, I.R. - Applications Development)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 10:27:01 PDT
Subject: Vast inferiority, Grammies, and Animal Logic

>> 6.  Is Kate Bush the female Peter Gabriel or is Peter Gabriel the male
>>Kate Bush?

>     Likewise, the comparison which people too often like to draw
>between Kate and Gabriel is misleading and does a disservice to Kate.
>As marvelous as Gabriel's work is, and as much as Kate's own may
>owe to it, can there be little doubt that Gabriel's melodic gifts,
>emotional range, vocal expressiveness, attention to detail, technical
>standards, and essential originality are all vastly inferior to Kate's?
>IED thinks not.

With all due respect, yes, there can be significant doubt "that Gabriel's
melodic gifts, emotional range, vocal expressiveness, attention to detail,
technical standards, and essential originality are all vastly inferior to
Kate's."

Vastness, as regards inferiority, is obviously in the eye/ear/mind of
the beholder.  I'll grant Kate the edge on melodic gifts and essential
originality, but I don't find it to be a "vast" edge in either case.
In all of the categories listed, Peter Gabriel is among the most gifted
of all musicians working today, and personal preferences aside, I can't
see any "vast inferiority" to anyone.

I won't try to cite song and verse to illustrate Gabriel's emotional
range and vocal expressiveness, for example, but I think that such
examples are well-known to most serious Kate fans.  Personally, as a
long-time (about 16 years) Gabriel fanatic and as an enthusisastic fan
of Kate, I feel that Gabriel fans owe Kate and Kate fans owe Gabriel
the same kind of profound respect that the two artists apparently have
for each other.  As IED noted his respect for Gabriel before proposing
Gabriel's vast inferiority, and as he acknowledged the musical debt
owed Gabriel by Kate, I won't take further exception but will leave it,
for now, as a matter of taste and opinion, adding only the merest
suggestion that such Gabriel naysayers might listen again to Gabriel's
work, listening with enthusiasm and inquisitiveness similar to the
enthusiasm and inquisitiveness they lavish (and rightly so) on Kate's
work.  The rewards are both similar and different, but they are profound.

On another topic entirely, I just heard that the 1989 cutoff for Grammy
nominations is Sept. 30, 1989.  I'm fascinated by the sheer volume of
important new releases now hitting the record store shelves (and I'm
optimistically including _TSW_ here, hoping for no delays) and I was
wondering if any of these recordings had their release delayed so as
to compete in the 1990 field, rather than competing with all of the
incredible music already released during 1989.

A third topic: has anyone heard the album by Animal Logic?  It looks like
a new band with a woman vocalist whose name escapes me, Stewart Copeland
and Stanley Clarke.  Sounds intriguing on paper, anyway; I'm wondering
how the music sounds.  Funky "Equalizer" music with female vocals, perhaps?
Copeland is credited with "Drums and Programmes" and Clarke with "Bass and
Strings", so I'm assuming there's a lot of Copeland sequencer keyboard parts.

************************ |UUCP: {hplabs,decwrl,<others>}!sun!thismoment!duane
  but one of the choices | COM: duane%thismoment@sun.com
turns existence into art |ARPA: duane@sun.arpa
************************ |USPS: 2550 Garcia Ave. M/S M3-76, Mtn. View CA 94042