Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 89 14:11 PDT
Subject: MisK.

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

 >Did she ever tour here?  Was this trip cancelled?  Please say yes,
 >because that means I didn't really miss the concert as I thought I did...
 >
 >-- Steve  Veeneman

     Kate never toured the U.S., and it's safe to say that she
never even set foot in Colorado. Perhaps the poster you saw
referred to the Tour of Life, her European tour. It's conceivable
that someone obtained a poster in England and displayed it
Or it could have been someone else's concert?

 >They rushed her into releasing "Lionheart" which
 >I think pretty much speaks for itself.
 >
 >-- Jon Drukman

     You're treading on thin ice again, Drukman. And IED would
venture to say that you're damn lucky Larry Hernandez (apparently)
hasn't found a way to contribute to Love-Hounds discussions yet,
or you'd find yourself on the receiving end of a devastating riposte.
  Thanks to Julian again for his impressive notes about Kate's editorial
choices in the use of Joyce's text for _TSW_.

 > Personally, I think "Heads We're Dancing" is closer to an American
 > hit-type song than "Love and Anger." I also like it more.
 >
 >-- Ed
 >   ed@das.llnl.gov

     IED tried, Ed, but he just couldn't imagine that a song like
_Heads_We're_Dancing_--given its subject matter--could _possibly_
become a hit in the U.S. Not in these benighted, censorship-ridden
days. Not when songs as tame and silly as _Papa_Don't_Preach_
or _Just_Like_a_Prayer_ are considered "subversive".
     Also, IED, for one, likes _Love_and_Anger_ as much as _Heads_
_We're_Dancing_. _Heads_We're_Dancing_ gave him a nightmare.

 > P.S. I thought Gaffa was a town in Israel. :-) :-)
 >      (Just kidding, folks.  Notice the smiley faces?)
                                                 \
     Kidding? KIDDING?? About the Gaffa issue???   : (
                                                 /
 >   The Sept. 30 issue of _New Musical Express_ shows the single
 >entering the charts at number 16.
 >
 >-- Ed

     IED forgot to clarify this point: although all the UK newspapers
listed _TSW_'s entry at number 16, they based this on either their
own independent surveys or the BMIRC's statistics. The Music Week/Gallup
stats are generally considered to be more accurate, however, and
_Billboard_ uses them. According to the MW/G lists, _TSW_ entered
the charts at number 12.

 >   start at around 2:30, sunday 10/22.  all we need is a laser
 >disk player (dave?  ied?)--all other hardware is covered.
 >
 >-- tracy

     Yes. IED will bring his laser-disk player, as well as
his Beta VCR. (IED's best copies of the early videos are on Beta.)
He will also consult with Larry by phone to see how else he might
be able to help out. A splendid time should be had by all! So remember,
everyone: the magiK daTe is Sunday, October 22, beginning around 2:30 PM,
Pacific time.

 > This is *obviously* someone who is familiar with *The
 > Dreaming*.  If "Nice to Swallow" is a mistake, it is clearly not the
 > mistake of the interviewer, but rather of the typesetters.

     That is not clear at all. In fact, IED would think it less
likely that this particular kind of mistake (for of course it
_was_ a mistake!) was made by typesetters. Had the title appeared
as "Nise too Swaloe" or something like that, IED would have agreed.
     Far more likely is the possibility that a second (or possibly
a third) party transcribed Kate's comments about the albums, and that
that person had obviously not learned the correct titles of the songs.
The section in which the error appears is boxed and strictly isolated
from the larger article on Kate. Whoever was responsible, it is a
virtual certainty that whoever was transcribing those separate remarks
from the tape of Kate's voice simply screwed up, hearing "Nice
to Swallow" instead of "Night of the Swallow".
     There is, however, _no_ reason at all to rule out the very
real likelihood that the error was committed by the interviewer.
|>oug's confidence that the interviewer had listened carefully and
intelligently to the album, based on the _interviewer's_ singularly
unconvincing claim to that effect, seems to IED amazingly naive.
IED could offer a dozen examples of British music journalists
who claim, either explicitly or implicitly, to have great knowledge
of Kate's work, yet betray in practically the same sentence that
their knowledge is practically nil. And in IED's opinion, that is
precisely what has happened in the "Lady Killers" case.

 > You are being kind of silly.  Kate said "Get Out" because it is her
 > shorthand for "Get Out Of My House".  Musicians almost often have
 > short names for their songs with long names.  Do you think they like
 > saying while working on an album, "Now let's work on 'Get Out Of My
 > House' for a bit"?  No, they'd rather say, "Now let's work on 'Get
 > Out' for a bit".

     IED would only like to point out that it is |>oug, this time--not
IED--who is drawing conclusions based on unsupported speculation
about how Kate would act and what Kate would say. IED was reprimanded
only a day or two ago by |>oug for making far more judicious
speculations than the one above.
     Kate has, to IED's knowledge, almost _never_ abbreviated the
titles of her songs in conversation. In all the dozens of video and
audio interviews (not to mention the print interviews) that IED has
heard over the past eleven years, Kate has nearly always made an
effort--even when the effect seemed a bit stilted--to refer to
her songs by their full titles.
     IED would have to agree with James Smith, therefore, that,
failing more tangible proof to the contrary, the reference to
_Get_Out_of_My_House_ as "Get Out" is still another reason for
doubting the legitimacy of this "Nice to Swallow" nonsense.
     Finally, pwoodruf's theory about _Walk_Straight_Down_the_Middle_
is intriguing, but IED is left in continued confusion about the
narrative relevance (and rest assured that there _is_ some
narrative relevance) of the birdlike cries Kate emits at the
end of the track. Did pwoodruf's infirm bus rider and his distressed
wife get attacked by rampaging seagulls a la _The_Birds_ upon
exiting the vehicle, or what?

-- Andrew Marvick