Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

a few questions

From: portal!cup.portal.com!Henry_Burdett_Messenger@apple.com
Date: Wed, 4-Oct-89 16:42:13 PDT
Subject: a few questions

subj: a few questions

"Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> P.S.  What do people think about Tangerine Dream?  Their newest stuff is
> almost as bad as their earliest, but from about 1978 to about 1986 (from
> Tangram to Underwater Sunlight, roughly) they were incredible.  Does
> anybody know if they have a new third member yet, since Chris Franke
> left?

	I'm kind of a Tadream-head, so my opinion is suspect. However,
	I think they're a "hugely important sociological phenomenon."

	By "their newest stuff" I presume you mean the two newest studio
	albums ("Tyger" and "Optical Race"). While I will admit that "Tyger"
	is very weak (didn't they learn anything from "Cyclone"? No vocals.
	enn-ohh-vee-ohh-cee-ay-ell-ess. NO VOCALS!), "Optical Race" isn't too
	bad, particularly "Mothers of Rain".

	On the other hand, they released another album in between "Tyger"
	and "Optical Race" called "Livemiles". "Livemiles" is a live
	recording: one side is the North American tour ("Underwater Sunlight")
	and the other side is a performance they gave at the 750th
	anniversary of the founding of Berlin. "Livemiles" is another
	incredibly brilliant live performance by the pioneers of synth-rock.

	They have also released several soundtrack albums in that timeframe:
	"Three O'Clock High", "Shy People", "Miracle Mile", "Near Dark" and
	others. I personally think that their soundtrack work is the weakest
	material they do, but I think that "Miracle Mile" and "Near Dark" are
	much better than "Tyger" and "Optical Race". Go figure.

	Yes, they have a new third member since Franke left -- I saw him
	on the "Optical Race" tour, but they never announced his name.
	Since Franke played the rhythm (not percussion) tracks, they're
	really missing that "crunch" he gave them... btw, Franke is
	working at a synthesizer company in Colorado.
				- hbm
Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation isn't responsible for anything I say on USENET