Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

To Ant in Chicago about Sarah McLachlan

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 08:37:39 PDT
Subject: To Ant in Chicago about Sarah McLachlan

I've been trying for days to reply to your message, Ant, but
I just can't seem to use UUNET mail.  I always get an "unknown
mailer" message.  (And I've tried the methods you told me about,
Jon.)  Is there another mail path to you?  This goes for everybody
who wants me to reply through UUNET.  As far as I know, I can't.
So here's the message.

Hi, Ant!

Thanks for your kind words about my postings to gaffa.

Sarah McLachlan has only put out one album: _Touch_.  However,
their are two different versions:  the original Canadian, and
the US.  The US version has a different cover, one more song than
the Canadian, and some of its tracks are mixed slightly differently.

I think I remember reading that Sarah M. was studying to be an opera
singer before turning to pop music, and that can plainly be heard in
some of the songs, which sound almost like arias or masses.  Other
songs are more pop-oriented, but, like our dear Kate, she never
crosses over into truly top-forty material.

I mentioned in my posting that she's like a cross between Enya
and Sinead O'Connor.  She also reminds me quite a bit of Jane
Siberry.

I really don't know what else to say;  it's hard for me to actually
describe music.  I hope this satisfies you.

Thanks again for writing me.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov