Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Seventh Wave

From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 20:17:23 -0500
Subject: Seventh Wave

Richard writes:

	Re: Dan Efran's questions

	> Sorry if these have been answered already, but...
	> 4.  Is Kate's Ninth Wave related to Sting's (Love is the)
	> Seventh Wave?  If so, what's the reference to?
	> (I assume it's literary)

	As some people have already said, I don't think there is any
	relation.  I have the impression that Sting's title is related
	to Henri CharriKre's _Papillon_, where the hero is rescued from
	Devil's Island by jumping into the seventh wave coming in from
	the ocean.

Actually, I once heard that Sting's seventh wave was a surfing/Hawaii
reference.  Apparently, every seventh wave is particularly well-suited
for surfing, so after catching a really big one, good surfers wait
out the next six and hop on the seventh.  Any latent surfers out there?