Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Implorings ..., new kid

From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 14:23:33 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Implorings ..., new kid

I suppose Corey was fighting fire with fire, maybe in a humorous way.

Otherwise, I guess I'll crawl back into my hole.  It seems better than
attempting to hold an intelligent, balanced conversation on this
bboard/mailing-list/newsgroup/AFS-Folder/... (bboard for brevity).

I'll fight against my own previous argument with reason since nobody
else will: it *is* wise for admirers of Kate to pontificate her music to
the unenlightened, unwashed masses.  There's enough crap being played on
the radio and the media  have a very tremendous effect in affecting
people.  I know many people fail to appreciate entire spectra of music
simply because it's not accessible by the various media.  I'll use a
quote from the new kid in Pgh, Pa:

>...the kids I went to high school with didn't know that any other groups
>other the LZ and the Cure were worth listening to, let alone existed.
                                                              ^^^^^^^

So, I recommend playing TSW all the time and on the radio as much as the
public can stand it.  However, I'm not going to buy 10 copies of her new
release.  Only 1 copy, for me.  And I might try to see her if she tours.

Corey, please don't call me CHUD-bait, because I don't know what CHUD
is.  Call me ignorant instead.  And please refrain from posting hate
mail - send me personal hate mail instead.

We do live in a country where each person is entitled to her/his own
opinions, at least for the near future as far as I can tell.

In Steve Williams' message:
>...It's not necessary to verify your devotion to Kate by
>trashing other groups...

Am I reading the right bboard?  Bull-s***.  An alarming percentage of
people writing to this bboard put Kate on the "throne" (that's what LH
is for, I'd argue) and consider music by other musicians somehow lacking
some critical element (lacking Kate, q.v.).  On this basis alone, you
could argue that such people implicitly declare all other music and
musicians less worthy and therefore is a put-down.  Music, the
musician's craft, is what matters, not the musician (what am I saying?
The ice is thin here, walk carefully to another bboard...). If you
disagree, I plead for you to be intelligent about your counter-claim...

- Brian