Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: usenet@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 11:02:54 PDT

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: a few questions
Date: 2 Oct 89 18:02:53 GMT
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

In article <4Z96LXG00Uo140VERI@andrew.cmu.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: "Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>2.  Has Kate _ever_ been seen on a stage in the United States?

Well, sort of.  She was on Saturday Night Live once in 1978 (I think).
She was invited by Eric Idle of Monty Python, who was hosting the show,
and she sang "Them Heavy People", and "The Man With the Child in His
Eyes."  As far as I know this show was only repeated once.

>3.  Is there a poster of the Kick Inside cover?

Maybe, though I haven't been able to find one.  The closest I've found is
a black and white version of the poster that was up all over London to
promote that album.  You know, where she's wearing skin-tight clothes.

>4.  Is Kate's Ninth Wave related to Sting's (Love is the) Seventh Wave?
>If so, what's the reference to?  (I assume it's literary)

I have no idea what Sting is refering to, but "The Ninth Wave" is a quote
from a Tennyson poem.  The complete quote appears on the back of the
album.  Kate has said that "A lot of people think that side was inspired
by the poem, but really it was completely the other way around.  I was
just looking through books and magazines trying to find a title, and that
particular quote seemed quite appropriate."

>5.  Is there anybody on here who hasn't bought Enya's Watermark album
>yet?  If so, go buy it immediately.  Some of it's in English & some
>isn't, but it's all incredibly good and quite in the league of the
>Goddess.  You've probably heard of the hit single Oronico Flow, but some
>of the other tracks are even better--Storms in Africa is my personal
>favorite.  Anybody else have any comments on the album?

I also this this album is terrific.  I personally like "Cursum Perficio",
which is sung in Latin.

>8.  Has anyone heard Kate's guest vox on the song Sister and Brother on
>Midge Ure's album Answers to Nothing?  It's pretty cool.

I have this album, and I've even heard "Sister and Brother" on the radio
once.  It's pretty good, but IMHO it doesn't compare at all with Kate's
own work.

>9.  Does anyone know of any other KT guest vox that are worth having?

Well, since you've mentioned Peter Gabriel, I suppose you know that the
very prominent female vocalist on his song "Games Without Frontiers" (from
his third LP) is Kate.  She also sings backing vocals on "No Self
Control", from the same album.

Also, she sings on Roy Harper's song "You (The Game), Part 2", if I've got
the title right.

>				--The Sphere (aka Dan Efran)

I've got a few more brief points to add:

In the current issue of _Spin_ magazine, the results of a readers' poll
are announced.  Kate came in at number eight on the list of "Most Dateable
Babes"!

Steve Masters played TSW on his show "The Import Hour" last night, and
called it "The most beautiful import single."

Today another KITS DJ played it, and afterwards said, "That's the latest
from Kate Bush, called 'The Sensual World'.  Kate's a personality of near
mythic proportions in the UK.  She's not quite so big here, but -- we
love her anyway!"

I always love to hear people say good things about Kate, and I hope others
who read this newsgroup do too.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov