Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Ordinaires??

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 89 18:19:45 -0700
Subject: Re: The Ordinaires??
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

The Ordinaires most recent album is called "One", on Bar/None records.
They have (at least) one previous album.  Ben Bossi (ex-Romeo Void) played
with them for a while, but isn't a member currently.  Cellist Garo Yellin
has played with David Thomas and the Wooden Birds.

The Ordinaires contribute two tracks to a new Bar/None sampler (called,
imaginatively enough, "Bar/None Sampler #2", subtitiled "Time for a Change").
They are an edited version of "Kashmir" and an apparently unreleased tune
called "Chhotisi Mulaqat" (no, that's not a typo).  I think the Kronos
Quartet have started an unpleasant trend with this chamber-acid-rock stuff,
and I'm not that crazy about "Kashmir".  I prefer "Chhotisi", a lively,
Middle Eastern-flavored tune (with a guitar solo that quotes from "Paint
It Black", for you nostalgia buffs).  Also appearing on the compilation are
They Might Be Giants (several non-LP tracks) and the very twangy Rage To
Live.  Also Bianca "Flystrip" Miller, formerly of the all-toy Pianosaurus.
Plus many more.  Worth checking out, although audiophiles should stay away;
some of the recordings are very low budget.
--
"Neal Armstrong and Steppin Fetchit did
 lots of walking in their time."