Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Nice Night to of the Swallow/s

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 12:48:39 EDT
Subject: Re: Nice Night to of the Swallow/s
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> [stewarte@ucscc.ucsc.edu:] What really makes me suspect it was a
> mistake, rather than a pun, is simply the fact that there was no
> comment made about it.  If the interviewer knew enough to recognize
> that Kate was punning, don't you think they would have made mention
> of it?

First of all, in this section of the interview, there were no comments
or interjections, or even questions by the interviewer.  This section
contained a little photo of each of Kate's albums, a track listing,
and Kate's comments on the album.  Whatever questions the interviewer
asked, or comments the interviewer made in real life during this part
of the interview were not included.  It is not even clear that this
section occurred verbally.  Kate may have been asked to write down
some comments on each of her album.  The evidence for this hypothesis
is that the comments on the albums are remarkably concise, clear, and
informative.

Futhermore, I see no reason why the interviewer would say anything if
he or she did notice the pun.  If Kate made such a pun at me, I
wouldn't say anything -- I would just smile.  In fact, when I
interviewed Kate she used a very strange adverb at one point.  She
said, "... the mule imagery was something I liked ordurely."  Now,
ordure is excrement or something morally degrading, so to like
something "ordurely" is rather unusual.  I didn't say anything about
her strange use of wording, other than to smile at it.