Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: rec.music.dylan - Hi Neil!

From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 16:47:37 PDT
Subject: Re: rec.music.dylan - Hi Neil!

cll: Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)
cll: All right Love-Hounds, the gauntlet has been thrown at our
cll: collective keyboards.  I've just heard from another incurable
cll: netter that those neophyte peuks over on the Dylan net have been
cll: congratulating themselves on having the first newsgroup devoted to
cll: a single musical artist.  Who are they kidding?  We've been here
cll: forever, or at least since 1986 when I started grad school.  And
cll: who do they eulogize?  Some drug crazed sixties throwback who
cll: sounds like a tortured geezer piped through an AM radio speaker to
cll: make full use of his half octave range.  I mean the guy looks like
cll: Yassir Arafat's half brother with mange and his lyrics are
cll: plaintive and puerile compared to Kate's.  Really, the whole
cll: subject makes me sick.

cll: The ONLY thing Bob Dylan ever did right was make an album that was
cll: exactly the right size for use as a washer to hold the rear deck
cll: of my 74 Capri together long enough to sell it.  He also created
cll: one that was perfect to place under the New Mexico sun as a heat
cll:  (more hilarious well written parody omitted)

nbc: What pathetic drivel. It's people like you who give this news group
nbc: a bad name and play into the hands of people like Tim M. What were
nbc: you on when you wrote this crap? Grow up or think before you post.

Oh *PLEASE* Neil, spare me the lecture and lighten up.  I'll admit that
it's not the funniest piece ever written; it's not even the funniest piece
I've ever written, but compare what I wrote with look what you wrote.
I was kidding.  By the way, what will happen if I don't grow up and
have the unmitigated gall to post another article in the same vein?
Will rec.music.gaffa cease to exist?  Will the universe explode?
Will you write another huffy letter?  Or will there be yet another
posting that some people find funny and some people don't?  Jeepers Neil,
that'd be unusual.

nbc: Let's get a few things straight. I subscribe to rec.music.dylan and
nbc: have been very impressed with the lack of noise compared to most
nbc: news groups. The amount of useful information I have picked up from
nbc: postings in just a few weeks has been considerable. You certainly
nbc: do not have to wade through such infantile gibberings as your vapid
nbc: piece above. Also, nobody that I know of has made any righteous claims
nbc: about the Dylan group being the first of its kind. The Grateful Dead
nbc: have had a newsgroup since the year dot!

While we're at it, let's get a few more things straight.  I live in
San Francisco which is filled to the gills with pretentious people who
compete to see who has lived in the city longer, who has the better
Mercedes, who listens to cooler groups, who makes more money ...
The list goes on and on.  I also read some newsgroups that appear
to have more than their share of similar type people.  Anyway,
this friend of mine who reads rec.music.dylan told me that someone
said they had the first newsgroup devoted to a single artist, and I
thought that was funny.  Now people are competing at the newsgroup
level, so I thought I'd make fun of it.  Really Neil, the phrase
"We've been here forever, or at least 1986 ..." should have given
you a clue.  Furthermore, using a Dylan album as an automotive washer
is the best use of a Dylan album I've heard yet. (<- this Neil, is a pun
commonly known as lowest form of humor.  The funny part is that you have
simultaneous images of "hearing" an idea, and "hearing" an album.
Some people will no doubt find this funny and others won't.)

nbc: As for Dylan's songwriting: if you really believe what you have
nbc: written then you clearly have no real appreciation of music and
nbc: one wonders what you are doing listening to Kate. Which is not to
nbc: say that Dylan has not made some pretty dire stuff - he has, but
nbc: he has also written many great songs.

Couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune of hearing "Polka-dot Undies"
on the radio.  If one must comprehend the complex, deeply artistic
meaning of "Polka-dot Undies" to have a "real" appreciation of music,
then I concede possessing no such ability.

nbc: If your posting was meant as a joke then it was a poor failure.
nbc: Carry on like this and not only will you have a news group devoted
nbc: to one artist but also a news group with one reader.

A Joke?  Gosh, that's quite a stretch Neil.  It was written as
bombastically as possible.  (bombastic is a big work that means egregious)
As to whether or not it was a failure, Tracy liked it and I know her.
So let's see, one person that I like enjoyed my letter, and one
person who I've never met got offended.  I'll take those odds.
As to whether or not rec.music.gaffa will survive another posting by
yours truly, if it can survive Tim Moroney it can live through anything.
Remember what Steve "Crazy Guy" Martin said, "Comedy is not pretty".
Have a nice day Neil, and keep smiling! 8-)

				--Corey