Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Tears For Fears

From: Jamie Andrews <jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 16:48:15 BST
Subject: Re: New Tears For Fears

>Really-From: Jonathan Lisle Cohen <jc4n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>
>I didn't catch the name of the new album, nor any rumors re: why it took so
>long to come out with it (about 4 years by my count).  Anyone else heard?

     Don't know the name of the album either, but the first
single is apparently called "Badman's Song" or something like
that (not to be confused, one hopes, with any of the Batman
hype...)

     There was a story in Q magazine last month about it, and
apparently it took so long because they had to go through enough
emotional trauma to generate material for the album.  :-)  :-)
But seriously, it was apparently a very difficult time for them
both, and they spent long periods not seeing each other or their
standard backing musicians.  They also changed producers several
times and had to fight mightily against the A&R men who wanted
them to "just make another _Songs from the Big Chair_".  Finally
they took control of the album and produced it themselves,
changing some of the arrangements (including that for "Badman's
Song") completely.  ("they" here meaning Curt Smith and Roland
Orzabal)

     I haven't even heard the single yet (or "The Sensual World"
for that matter), since I rarely listen to the radio because I
like maybe 3% of the music I ever hear on it... all I ever
listen to regularly is a program called "Beat Patrol" on Radio
Scotland which usually features *really* non-poppy music like
fIREHOSE and so on.

     BTW, I don't know if I ever mentioned it on L-Hs, but I
saw fIREHOSE (edfROMOHIO and all) last year in Edinburgh on the
recommendation of L-Hs.  Great gig, great band.  Totally music-
loving and unaffected (well, except for the drummer, but his
affectations were pretty likeable).  They were back here just
last week I think, but I didn't get to see them again.  Thanks
for the tip anyway, whoever it was.

peace

eager for the new albums
from TFF and
from she who is
and will ever be
GOD
--Jamie.
  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
"Walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing"