Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lots of little things

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 18:20:06 PDT
Subject: Lots of little things

Hi everybody!  As you can see, I'm back.  Let's see if Love-Hounds
is working again, as |>oug claims.

I've got a bunch of little items you may (or may not) be interested in:

1) Kate will soon be played on _Rock Over London_.

_Rock Over London_ is a one-hour weekly syndicated radio show from
Westwood One (I think.)  It is broadcast on many US radio stations,
including KITS in San Francisco. Over the last few months they've played
"Sister and Brother", and Hue and Cry's version of TMWTCIHS, so they are
quite familiar with Kate.  I was listening to Sunday's show,
and the (female) co-host said the following, in her news summary:

"The female singer we've been getting the *most* questions about recently
is Kate Bush.  Yes, she does have a new single and album coming out, both
called _The Sensual World_.  And yes, we will be playing them just as soon
as we can get our mitts on them.  By the way, David Gilmour plays on a few
tracks.  It seems that he's got his hands on everything, nowadays."

After the rest of the news was read, the male co-host said, "So David
Gilmour's got his hands on Kate Bush now.  Hmm."

So for all you people who can't ordinarily hear Kate on the radio, but who
live someplace where RoL is broadcast, this is your chance!

RoL is usually pretty up-to-the-minute.  They played RUTH within a week of
its British release.  I'm pretty certain that that was the first time that
song was played on American radio.

2)  Kate gets position on radio countdown.

On Memorial Day Weekend, KITS played the "Top 300 Modern Rock Songs of All
Time", as voted on by the listeners.  RUTH came in at number 192.

On the Labor Day Weekend which just passed, KITS played the "Top 105
Modern Rock Artists of All Time", again as voted on by the listeners.
Kate came in at an incredible number 40, much better than I would have
expected.  She beat such heavyweights as Peter Gabriel, The Pretenders,
and Duran Duran.  The station played "Hounds of Love", RUTH, and
"Wuthering Heights," all in a row!

Remember, KITS is a COMMERCIAL station.  It is neither a college station
nor any other non-profit station.  This is what is so amazing, to me.  I
don't think there are more than a half dozen commercial stations in this
whole country that play Kate regularly.

3) The war between IED and |>oug about interpretation.

These guys' differing opinions reminds me of a story told by Isaac Asimov.
An English professor at a university once wrote a paper about one of
Asimov's stories, describing in great detail his interpretation.  Asimov
saw that paper, and was flabbergasted because the professor's ideas were
not even close to what he himself was thinking when he wrote the story.

Asimov wrote to the professor, saying, "You're completely wrong.  Nothing
like what you said was in my mind when I wrote that story."

He soon got a letter back from the professor, who said, "What gives you
the gall to believe that, just because you wrote the story, you have the
faintest idea of what it contains!"

I guess this actually takes |>oug's point of view, although I'm really
slightly in favor of IED on this issue.  I just thought this anecdote
was hilariously appropriate.

4) A CD storage box.

I've noticed a 30 CD storage box on sale at many record store chains
(Tower, Musicland, etc.).  It's model TCD-30, made by Case Logic.  The
packaging shows a picture of the storage box about one third full.  One
of the CDs in the box is _The Whole Story_.  It's right between _Whitney_
and _Heart_!

5) Kate makes Desert Island Disks again.

In the current issue of _Pulse!_ magazine (the in-store magazine of Tower
Records), another person has listed _The Whole Story_ among his Desert
Island Disks.

6) I'm going to Montreal.

I will be in Montreal from Sept. 14 through Sept. 28 -- exactly when
the first single will be released.  I lived in Montreal for many years,
so I'm quite familiar with the city overall, but I'm not familiar with the
current record store situation.  Can anybody tell me if there
are some record stores there that might have the single as an import?
Thanks in advance.  Please e-mail responses.

Well, that's it.  Once again, hi to everybody.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov