Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Man With The Attitude up his ***....

From: James Smith <munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!CCJS@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 09:08 -1000
Subject: Re: The Man With The Attitude up his ***....

From: CCJS@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 23 Aug 89 09:07:54 EST

Lazlo Nibble writes:

> And distributing copies of privately-recorded demo tapes that she has
> EXPRESSLY STATED THAT SHE DOES NOT WANT DISTRIBUTED *isn't* stealing
> from her?  [...] it's no different than if someone
> started passing around photocopies of her childhood diaries or tapes
> of her private phone calls or something;

No it isn't.  Diaries are for the private perusal of the person
who writes them.  Private phone calls are for the ears of the
two people involved.  These tapes were made to show off Kate's skill,
and were for the perusal of anyone who might be interested in offering
her a contract.  They were intended for the ears of people who didn't
know Kate, and who would possibly not listen to them with a kind ear.
They are not 'private.'

I'm sick of hearing this line about them being like childhood diaries.
It's bullshit.

Jim

--
James Smith, Computing Centre, University of Newcastle, ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au
"It scares me silly but it gets me going" -- Kate Bush