Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Copying bootlegs...

From: halley!watson@cs.utexas.edu (William Watson)
Date: 21 Aug 89 20:14:04 GMT
Subject: Re: Copying bootlegs...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Lazlo Nibble <csbrkaac@ariel.unm.edu> said:

>And distributing copies of privately-recorded demo tapes that she has
>EXPRESSLY STATED THAT SHE DOES NOT WANT DISTRIBUTED *isn't* stealing
>from her?

Of course, one possible reason she made her statement in "Homeground"
(If I recall correctly), may have been that it would come out after the
deadline that IED had told her about in his letter describing his plans.
This would imply a "thanks for letting me know/don't anybody else copy
these things" attitude.

Another reason may have been that she didn't want to encourage IED to keep
writing long letters by replying directly.  I make the rash assumption that
IEDs letter(s) to Kate run to lengths similar to those of his posts.  ("Oh, no!
*Another* 100 page letter from that guy in LA!  :-)  A note in Homeground
would certainly be seen by IED, and probably by the majority of other fans
sufficiently fanatical to wish copies of the demo tape.

But then again, I may be full of it!

William