Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misKellaneous sTuff

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 16:22:01 EDT
Subject: misKellaneous sTuff
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

Subject: Rub a Dub Dub

> From: Lazlo Nibble <csbrkaac@ariel.unm.edu>

> And distributing copies of privately-recorded demo tapes that she has
> EXPRESSLY STATED THAT SHE DOES NOT WANT DISTRIBUTED *isn't* stealing
> from her?  If not, then what the hell *is* stealing from her?  There's
> no moral high ground here, Doug . . .

I didn't say it wasn't stealing.  I just said that it isn't stealing
"money".  Look, we've already covered every point that is going to be
made on this topic.  No one is saying anything new.  Why don't we give
it a rest.  But at least if you are going to accuse someone of
something, please accuse them of the crime they have done or are
likely to do.  IED has not considered here distributing copyrighted
material that is widely available commercially.  So don't say that he
is likely to.  This is slander, and is also a crime.

What IED was considering may or may not be wrong, but it is
*different* in many ways, and you do not do intelligent discussion any
service by refusing to acknowledge the difference.

Subject: The Ninth Drug Trip

There was an interviewer (*Hot Press*, 1985) who really thought that
the "The Ninth Wave" was about a drug trip.  He too mentioned "racing
white horses" and "cutting out little lines in the ice".

Subject: We are living in a digital world and I am a digital guy

> From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 513, CH2-59" <AGOUGH%FAB6@sc.intel.com>

> Hey wait a second.  If the CD contains the code, the CD player would
> certainly have to still output digital information--what else are CD
> players good for?

Why would the CD player have to output the digital information?  The
vast majority of CD payers don't have any digital outputs at all --
only analog.

Subject: Singing in the rain

> From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>

> I do not know the details, and this is second-hand information, but
> apparently, sometime last week, the Canadian news show "As It
> Happens" did a piece on a scientist (I don't know from where or who)
> who, using Reichian Cloudbusting-based methods, has achieved a
> rain-inducing machine which (he claims) works with 80% reliability.
> Did anyone else hear about this?  I'm sure we'd all be interested in
> details given the recent revival of interest in the Organon
> discussion.

If this machine truly uses Reichian cloudbusting methods, then it
works no better than sacrificing a virgin and praying to the great god
Omlagagol.  The latter method is much more fun, however.