Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: H.R. Giger

From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 15:55:39 PDT
Subject: Re: H.R. Giger
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Quoted-From: microsoft!brianw@uunet.uu.net
>Oh! So Giger designed the prop in the video?  Where did you hear about
>that (let me guess).  BTW, has anyone seen that book of H.R. Giger's
>works, titled "Necronomicon" or "Necromancer" or somesuch?  I haven't
>seen it in years, pretty bizarre stuff.  At the time I had the choice
>between it and Roger Dean's collection "Views", should have gotten both.

Anyone who dares to mention Dean in the same breath with Giger should
be made Giger's main model and sex slave.  Flying elephants over pastel
landscapes, feh.

In any case, there are several H. R. Giger volumes available, all of
them rather expensive (over $100 now, though they were cheaper
originally).  I have NECRONOMICON, the English edition from London's
Big O Publishing (1978); the original is in German from Sphinx Verlag,
Basel.  I also have NECRONOMICON II, Edition C, Zurich, 1985, the
German edition; it comes with an English supplement, separately bound
in the same size on similar paper, from the American distributor,
Catalan Communications (43 East 19th St., NY NY 10003).  My third Giger
folio is N.Y. CITY, surely an apt subject for Giger but nonetheless
somewhat disappointing overall in comparison to the others.  It has an
introduction by Timothy Leary.  It's an English language edition from
Ugly Publishing in Zurich, 1981.

There is a fourth collection, H.R. GIGER'S ALIEN, which I don't have.
The only one I've seen for sale is a Japanese edition for somewhere
around $200.  It features various designs, sketches, and paintings
attendant on his work as the graphic designer for the horror movie
ALIEN.

All of these are folio sized on heavy glossy stock.  Catalan may be
able to get them for you, or you can try your local comic book store.

You can also find Giger posters about.  I have one on the wall of my
home office; you've probably noticed my remarkably sunny and unassuming
disposition, and wondered how you could be more like me.  Just put a
poster of Baphomet flanked various snakes, demons, and succubi (not to
mention dead babies clutching hand grenades) around you while you work,
and you will find yourself becoming a regular Norman Vincent Peale.  Or
Roger Dean.

If you like Giger's work, you should also enjoy EXIT, a morbid folio
sized magazine/book that's now in its fourth issue.  However, peeling
away the black tape on certain pages can subject you to various
criminal and civil penalties (no joke).  It's ten dollars an issue, and
published by "Tomorrow's (Words and Pictures) Today, P.O. Box 1405, NY
NY 10011".  I dare you to meditate at length on the Teratology spread
in #4.

"Strong men tremble when they hear it.
 They've got cause enough to fear it;
 It's even blacker than they smear it!
 No one mentions -- my name." - Bill Sykes, "Oliver"