Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Solsbury Hill (was Re: (none))

From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: 18 Aug 89 00:23:04 GMT
Subject: Solsbury Hill (was Re: (none))
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: uucp@eddie.MIT.EDU

>Really-From: adams%bosco.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Jeffrey P. Adams)
>
>And while we're digressing, I confess I can't quite figure out from
>the lyrics who it is that came to take him home.  God?  Aliens?  Mom?

I always thought it was the kid's daddy, but I could be wrong.  Mebbe
I oughta go get the lyrics...

My interpretation was that it was some child at boarding school
(basically cos the whatever that came to get him calls him "son") or
something having a rotten time cos he's an artiste ("to keep in silence
I resigned, friends would think I was a nut...") and he can't wait
to get the f*ck out of the joint, and he climbs up on Solsbury Hill
to see his freedom, off in the distance.

I admit that most of the lyrics give me problems: like, "when illusion
spin her net, I'm never where I want to be..."

Angst-Ridden Suburban White Boy With Attitude,

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I think quotes are very dangerous   |
| \|on |/rukman  | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  things."  -- Kate Bush              |