Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: microsoft!brianw@uunet.uu.net
Date: Tue Aug 15 22:17:50 1989

From: brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Wow! Lamb discussion!!!
Date: 16 Aug 89 05:17:49 GMT

No, I'm not going to argue about whether or not Gabriel was influenced
by drugs during the composition of "The Lamb", but I would like to add
my 2 cents worth of interpretation.  I was really young when I first
heard "Lamb", so I didn't have much to draw upon in interpreting it.  My
overall impression of the story was that Rael was experiencing death,
complete with his whole life flashing before him.  The story opened with
Rael on the street, alive and well, and I thought that the moment when
the invisible wall overtook him on Broadway was somehow the transition
to some state of limbo.  I didn't really try to tie every event in the
album to reality.  In the end, I thought that John was actually Rael's
alter-ego, and by Rael's willingness to give his own like for his
"brother", he actually saved himself.  I never could decide if the light
mentioned at the end of the album was the "light at the end of the
tunnel", or whether Rael had made it back to the real world and the light
was his realization of what had occured.

BTW, all of this is just from memory, I don't really care about
convincing anyone of my interpretation.  But I am interested in going
back to listen to the album in depth, and trying to figure out more, so I
welcome any comments related to my ideas.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP