Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Beyond Criticism

From: rpk@goldhill.com (Robert Krajewski)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 89 09:33:17 EDT
Subject: Beyond Criticism

    Date:    Thu, 27 Jul 89 11:17 PDT
    From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
    Subject: Mailbag

    ... _The_Sensual_World_:
    "Ack barf" (even though it's _plainly_ one of the greatest album titles
    in the history of music); "The sheets are soaked by your tiny fish":
    "Ack barf" (even though it's _clearly_ a line of pure genius, especially
    as sung--two different ways--in the song); the "visuals" in _Hammer-
    smith_: "laughably inane" (even though there can really be _no_question_
    _whatever_ that Kate's performance is beyond any legitimate aesthetic
    criticism of _any_kind_)...

Really, isn't the judgment that an instance of art is beyond
criticism itself an act of criticism ?  If you can make that
judgement, I can make another.  Even if it's the ``wrong'' one.

Actually, I *like* the title _The Sensual World_ -- hope the album
design lives up to it !