Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "European Releases"

From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: 27 Jul 89 00:15:36 GMT
Subject: Re: "European Releases"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: uucp@eddie.MIT.EDU

In article <8907260403.AA22837@m.cs.uiuc.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
>Anyways, I wanted to ask the advice of the experienced as to which of
>these 3 finds I should invest in, if any.  Here is a list with prices:
>
>	Temple of Truth ('79)   - LP - $30
>	Under the Ivy Bush      - LP - $25
>	Live at the Hammersmith - CD - $35
>
>The idea of a bootleg CD still fascinates me.  Is the sound CD-quality
>despite the source?  I assume this is just the soundtrack of the video,

Basically, Temple of Truth is incredibly dreadful.  Under The Ivy Bush I
believe contains same stuff as Live At Hammersmith CD.  Definitely go with
the Hammersmith CD as it is mastered from the Japanese hi-fi laserdisc.
Of course, if you have a laserdisc player, you might just wanna buy the
Jap import Hammersmith disc and then you get the ultra cool sound plus all
the LAUGHABLY INANE visuals (no snide comments from the Peanut gallery:
this subject has been beaten way past death).  Plus, the Hammersmith CD
contains three pretty cool tracks which are admittedly available on official
releases, but why pay $15 for the "She's Having A Baby" soundtrack CD when
you could have it on this bootleg as part of the deal?

Incidentally, the "She's Having A Baby" track will apparently be on Kate's
new album.  This info courtesy of Homeground's Summer 89 Issue.  And since
I haven't seen it mentioned on this digest previously, I should probably
mention that the new album is titled "THE SENSUAL WORLD."  My editorial
comment: GAG ACK BARF!

--Jon Drukman
jsd@gaffa.mit.edu    or   jsd@umass.bitnet

Bass for your face London, everybody in the house make some noise...