Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"European Releases"

From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 23:03:59 -0500
Subject: "European Releases"

I was most pleasantly startled when I came upon three Kate Bush
bootlegs in a local rare/collectors music store.  The salesman(/owner?)
said they preferred to call them European pressings or some such
euphemism, but after the recent discussions in love-hounds, I knew
they were certainly bootlegs.  What struck me was the professional
look -- 2 were albums, and one was a CD.  They really looked authentic,
right down to the graphics on the covers.

Anyways, I wanted to ask the advice of the experienced as to which of
these 3 finds I should invest in, if any.  Here is a list with prices:

	Temple of Truth ('79)   - LP - $30
	Under the Ivy Bush      - LP - $25
	Live at the Hammersmith - CD - $35

The idea of a bootleg CD still fascinates me.  Is the sound CD-quality
despite the source?  I assume this is just the soundtrack of the video,
but I don't have the video.

Any suggestions as to whether these prices are good (and if they're not
what would be), and which of these are of the highest quality
sound-wise?  Also, for someone like me who has all the albums, but
basically nothing else (save obsKuriTies), which would be the best
one to start with (I may eventually buy more than one, but they do seem
expensive).  Are any of these really rare (and thus a good investment,
the music aside)?

Thanks for your guidance.

|  /\/\  / /\/\  Mike Mendelson       | Univ. of Illinois  (217) 244-1372 |
| / / /_/ / / /  mendel@m.cs.uiuc.edu | Computer Science     2414 Beckman |