Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: _Cathy_Demos_--the "official" view; and KT NEWS

From: James Smith <munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!CCJS@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89 13:50 EST
Subject: Re: _Cathy_Demos_--the "official" view; and KT NEWS

From: CCJS@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 20 Jul 89 13:49:50 EST

Steve Gross writes:

> "If you cancel the tape project,  what will become of _your_ copy of THE
> TAPE?"

> That is, if _all_ copying of any form of the _Cathy_Demos_ is verboten, will
> IED destroy  his and post  the ashes  to the net?

> Not that I wish him any ill will, but hypocrisy
> irritates me.

While it is illegal to copy a tape for someone else, I don't see that
it is illegal to own one.  If Andrew doesn't copy the tapes, it is
because he cannot legally do so, not because he doesn't want to share
the music with us.  I thought Love-Hounds were above this.

Myself, I've thought a great deal about this, and while I agree that it
is illegal to copy the tapes, and that it is against Kate's wishes, I
still can't see that it's wrong.  For me I guess that the key question
is: "Does an artist have the right to suppress their own work, or does
it belong to the human race?"

--

James Smith            Computing Centre        University of Newcastle
ACSnet: ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au                          Phone: +61 49 685635