Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate-echism XXII.7.xv: "Wake up! Pay attention!"

From: kurtzman%pollux.usc.edu@usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman)
Date: 16 Jul 89 12:11:49 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate-echism XXII.7.xv: "Wake up! Pay attention!"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@usc.edu

In article <8907152051.AA01019@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU writes:

> To: Love-Hounds
> From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
> Subject: Kate-echism XXII.7.xv: "Wake up! Pay attention!"

[stuff deleted]

>     The above statement is ignorant and poorly considered.

Hey, Bud, have you ever considered attending charm school?

[more stuff deleted]

>     Frankly, IED can't believe that this nonsense about the heroine "dying"
>at the end of _The_Ninth_Wave_ is being bandied about yet again. Did
>no-one learn _anything_ from IED's last posting on this subject?

Perhaps some of us weren't reading this group a few months back. Since you
were, I leave it to you to figure out which one of us missed your pearls
back then.

[much more stuff deleted]

IED, Andrew, whichever you prefer, your posting contained some interesting
information. But lighten up. People aren't involved in some malicious plot
to misinterpret your demi-goddess. Next time you get hot over a posting that
shows an interpretation that differs from yours or KBs, you might consider
that different people see different things in an artistic work. There are
no absolute rights or wrongs in interpretations, only perspectives. Discussion
about these things can help people see different perspectives. I see a couple
of different ways to interpret this Ninth Wave now. One of them might even
approximate what Kate Bush originally intended -- but that hardly makes it
the best or most interesting or most correct interpretation for me.

You know, artists don't always have the best perspectives of their own work.
-----
kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu          "Make no mistake when mystiquing a make"
                                                       -- Maggie Roche