Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Ninth Wave - Yet more KonTroversy

From: kurtzman%pollux.usc.edu@usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman)
Date: 13 Jul 89 23:41:00 GMT
Subject: Re: The Ninth Wave - Yet more KonTroversy
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@usc.edu

In article <8907130423.AA14650@gaffa.wpd.sgi.com> keving@GAFFA.WPD.SGI.COM (Kevin Gurney) writes:

>> From meadley@cyan.UUCP Tue Jul 11 09:55:18 1989

>> Re-reading Kate's interview in January 1986 (Island-Ear
>> Interview), Kate definately states "it is very much about
>> someone trying to make it through the night in the water -
>> alone, scared and not really knowing what's happening, but
>> going through the experience and hopefully coming out the
>> other side with an appreciation of what's *really* going on."
>> This certainly suggests to me that the person DOES survive.
>
>On the other hand, "coming out the other side" _could_ mean that
>the person in the water has died and is now in Heaven, or Nirvana, or "another
>plane of existence" or whatever.

Yeah, its pretty clear that the person does not survive. Otherwise
you have to make all sorts of out-of-body experience hypotheses to
account for her being a ghost watching her loved one in "Watching you
Without Me" and her ability to play peek-a-boo with the earth in
"Hello Earth".

Not to mention:

>I shall stubornly maintain that the joyful sounds of John Williams guitar
>("The Morning Fog") is a metaphor for Angelic Harps and that our heroine does
>indeed die.

Now for a real controversial question: Why do people on this net worship
this woman. I'll grant that she writes interesting music and poetry, and
that she is attractive, but seriously, why all the dedication?
-----
kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu          "Make no mistake when mystiquing a make"
                                                       -- Maggie Roche