Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Ninth Wave - Yet more KonTroversy

From: keving@gaffa.wpd.sgi.com (Kevin Gurney)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 21:23:45 PDT
Subject: The Ninth Wave - Yet more KonTroversy

> From meadley@cyan.UUCP Tue Jul 11 09:55:18 1989

> Re-reading Kate's interview in January 1986 (Island-Ear
> Interview), Kate definately states "it is very much about
> someone trying to make it through the night in the water -
> alone, scared and not really knowing what's happening, but
> going through the experience and hopefully coming out the
> 					     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> other side with an appreciation of what's *really* going on."
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This certainly suggests to me that the person DOES survive.

On the other hand, "coming out the other side" _could_ mean that
the person in the water has died and is now in Heaven, or Nirvana, or "another
plane of existence" or whatever.

Also, why did Kate say "someone _trying_ to make it through the night"
(emphasis added) if she meant "someone making it through the night"?
Granted this is a conversation and people aren't generally as careful in
talking as they are in writing, but maybe this is some sort of Freudian slip.

If someone can point me to a Kate KuoTe that says "Oh yes, she survives and
returns to her family a better person for the experience", or somesuch, then
I shall admit defeat and never again even THINK that she drowns. Until then
I shall stubornly maintain that the joyful sounds of John Williams guitar
("The Morning Fog") is a metaphor for Angelic Harps and that our heroine does
indeed die.

Sorry to hash this up again. Actually, it beats all this "Wait! I saw an
episode of 'LA Law'" opinion of the day vis a vis copyright infringment stuff.
--
Pres. Bush's biggest fear about a burning flag is that he won't be able
to unwrap himself from it in time.

keving@gaffa.wpd.sgi.com