Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Videos, CDs and tapes

From: nbc@informatics.rutherford.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 19:08:26 BST
Subject: Videos, CDs and tapes
Posted-Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 19:08:26 BST

>From: Todd Keenan Bowman <tb0o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>I recently saw Kate Bush's "The Whole Story" videotape.   Not being too
>familiar with her music I was willing to give it a try.  All in all I
>would have to say I was turned off by the whole mess.   Her voice was
>annoying as hell in the Wuthering Heights and Army Dreamers ( though I
>did like the effect with her eyes ) videos.

Were you *really* listening or just *looking*. She only has one voice she
just puts it to different use on various songs.

>I found nearly all of the videos to be plain boring.
> She isn't even good looking.

"Blind and deaf" (Basil Fawlty, Torquay). Suggests you definitely were
concentrating on the visual image. Besides when has musical talent been
positively correlated with attractive qualities? Kylie Minogue might look
cute but her singing ability is close to zero. Buy the CD and listen - make
your own images if you prefer.

>Even with these few bright spots,  I still don't understand why so many
>people seem to blindly worship her.  Oh well.

They do not do it "blindly" - I think you will find that a great number
of her fans took some time to really appreciate her music and discover all
its subtle qualities. Try again - just say yes!

>From: IED
>Justin: Your mention of a new European edition of the _Hounds_
>of_Love_ CD with the 12" re-mix of _RUTH_ is news to IED, too. PLEASE
>give some more particulars regarding this CD! Do you know which country
>markets that edition?

A letter in the July issue of Q from a reader who bought the CD with the
12" version of RUTH listed, might shed some light on this. Here is the
reply from Q:

 "According to EMI's press office, because of the limited capacity for
 and complex manufacture of CD production in 1985 (when HOL was released), the
 CD was scheduled well in advance of the cassette and vinyl versions. So early
 in fact that Kate hadn't even completed the 12" version, which is why the 7"
 version appears on the CD and the 12" on the cassette. However, two sets of
 CD sleeves were made in case the 12" version was ready in time, and that
 second set of original artwork must have been used by accident. EMI recognise
 the error - Kate Bush herself was unaware of the slip - and are endeavouring
 to rectify  the mistake.They'd be interested to know where and when you bought
 your HOL CD too. "

>feel equally rotten if he had to refuse the requests of other fans
>who only want the chance to hear what IED has heard; and 3.) he would
>feel rottener still if, by refusing to share his copy with other fans,
>he forced them to seek copies through sleaze-ball bootleggers.

IED I think you have to be careful in your statements here. Granted,
most bootleggers might be the lowest-of-the-low. On the other hand
without these people you would not be enjoying the 22 tracks that you
have in your possession. Also, what guarantees are there that someone
on your list will not go out to the next record meet and flog of copies
at exorbitant prices, or one of their friends do likewise. You have to
admit that just because someone reads Lovehounds it does not mean they
will have Kate's best interests at heart. There are even some poor
misguided souls who don't even like her - what's to stop them getting
copies and distributing them for profit. Not that I am suggesting we
introduce positive vetting or anything - things are just more complicated
than they might seem.

>He's flattered that his words are the subject of such careful scrutiny,

Second only to Kate's, I assure you!

Neil.