Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Murder on the Net

From: mcrware!jejones@uunet.uu.net (James Jones)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 10:29:25 CDT
Subject: Re: Murder on the Net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8906220152.AA01764@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> you write:
>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
>
>It's a good thing for IED that (as far as |>oug knows) no one has ever
>been convicted of violating copyright if there was no intent to
>profit.

If an article by Calvin Mooers in *Computing Surveys* is correct, someone
may have indeed been taken to court and convicted for just such a thing.
The case cited was one in which a church choir director made a simplified
arrangement of a song for his choir to perform in church, and sent the
arrangement in to the publisher.

So, while I certainly bear no ill will towards IED (quite the contrary),
I'm sort of glad I'm not him at this point. :-)

    James Jones (who certainly is not a lawyer!)