Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Murder on the Net

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 89 21:52:18 EDT
Subject: Murder on the Net
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

|>oug is very pissed at IED!  If IED really thinks that he can go to
Kate Bush and say "Mind if I distribute these illegal bootleg
recording of yours that you don't want anyone to hear and were very
disturbed to find out that they had leaked?" he lives in a very
different world (and nonexistant one -- sorry, Virginia, there is no
Santa Claus) than I do.  Kate will obviously be *forced* by copyright
law to tell IED to cease and desist, while if IED had kept his big
writing-hand shut, Kate could have known all about it and quietly
looked away as she usually does, and in a court of law plausibly feign
ignorance if anyone ever challenged her on her copyright.  But now
that IED and admitted all in hard, cold black and white, she no longer
has this option.

It's a good thing for IED that (as far as |>oug knows) no one has ever
been convicted of violating copyright if there was no intent to
profit.  Unfortunately for |>oug, people have had their computers
seized for conspiracy to violate copyright (even when no charges were
ever brought).  In any case, even if IED doesn't get thrown in jail,
the consequences will be much worse for IED because |>oug is going to
go to LA and strangle a Cathy Demo tape out of him if he doesn't
receive one in the mail soon.  (|>oug is sure that IED will forgive
|>oug, for he is a fellow addiKT and can't help himself, but IED will
be dead nonetheless.)  |>oug will have to make sure all the FBI agents
have left before doing this, however.

If IED was sufferring all along from this torturous moral quandry,
|>oug fails to see why IED did not just let |>oug do all the dirty
work, as he already volunteered to in the past.  Since |>oug has no
compunction on this issue, there would have been no problem.  But
nooooooooo.....  IED has to go and screw it up again!

|>oug's only hope at the moment is that he can get Love-Hounds
set up with with non-profit, educational status.  Then we can copy
copyrighted material all we want -- especially if it is not
commercially available.  Yeah, that's the ticket....

> (And _Hounds_of_Love_ has _nothing_ to do with Kate's fans, |>oug!)

|>oug never said that it did.  |>oug's claim was that it seemed likely
to him that the image of "hounds of love" chasing you might be
catalyzed by having fans, who are, quite literally, hounds of love.
|>oug never implied, however, that the image couldn't also be used to
mean other things, nor that the fan image is used at all in the song
"Hounds of Love".

|>oug

"I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you
 I just want to fuck you... up"