Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Just Say NO to Artistic Secrecy

From: bloch%mandrill@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch)
Date: 22 Jun 89 00:50:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Just Say NO to Artistic Secrecy
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nobody%sdcsvax@ucsd.edu

berns@lti.com (Brian Berns x26) writes:
>Take R.E.M.'s lyrics, which are almost impossible
>to figure out.  They have some lyrics for which I would kill, yet I'm
>glad they don't publish them.
>
>For example, they let me and my friends discover the background vocals
>in "Wendell Gee" ("Gonna miss you boy") and "... End of the World ..."
>("Time I had some time alone") for ourselves.  The thrill of discovery
>made the lyrics mean that much more.

Jane Siberry seems very concerned that people understand Her lyrics,
and Her albums generally contain very complete lyrics sheets,
sometimes in parallel columns to indicate multitracking.  Yet in a
few places (e.g. the interlude in "Extra Executives") She has chosen
to leave something for the listener to seek out.  And I think it's
an appropriate compromise.

"The above opinions are my own.  But that's just my opinion."
Stephen Bloch