Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: Dan Kozak <dbk@mimsy.umd.edu>
Date: 21 Jun 89 14:19:29 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: mimsy.UUCP

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: The rush or lack of...
Date: 21 Jun 89 14:19:28 GMT

>Really-From: claris!wombat@decwrl.dec.com (Scott Lindsey)
>I think a lot of the rush was people being able just type 'r' (or whatever
>your news/mail program likes) and ask to get on the list.  Without moving
>from the keyboard.  [Fragment intentional.]  The mailing of tapes came later,
>after being committed to doing so.  Here, the first step is actually putting
>everything together & mailing it to IED.  I know the reason I haven't sent
>my money off is that very reason.  That little money for Kate's music is
>inconsequential.  The hold up is finding  packing materials, getting to the
>post office etc.  So it goes.

This is true.  One fact that would tend to to prove this theory - of
the 11 tapes on my list to copy for the first tape only 5 were sent to
me.  I know this is my problem getting it together for the second
tape.  Don't worry, IED, you'll get a flood of tapes at the last
minute.  :-)

As for all the ethical and moral hand-wringing going on, I'd like to
add my .02 cents worth.  I've been making music and recording it on a
variety of gear for over 10 years.  Some of the earliest efforts are
pretty embarassing to me (from sound-quality, performance quality and
[last and least] actual quality of the music standpoints).  I know
people who have these tapes who enjoy them.  I roll my eyes, but I
wouldn't think of trying to deprive them of music they have grown to
enjoy.  And if they tell two friends . . . well, I'd prefer that they
exchange copies of more recent material, but it's a big world out
there and a few people having copies of a tape that embarrasses me
isn't going to kill me (_I_ don't FEEL like I've been raped!).  If I
discovered someone making money off the deal, I'd be preety angry (I
mean, I've never made any money off it . . . :-), but at the money
maker not those who shelled out hard earned dollars to hear my music.
All in all, I think IED has made the best of a bad situation.  Thanx,
and my check's in the mail.  (The legal ramifications of all this are
beyond those here, as has been already shown [that's not an insult,
it's just that very few people actually understand copyright law] and
I'm not going to add to the torrent of misinformation.  Let's just say
that these things are . . . questionable).
--
#dan

Clever:         dbk@mimsy.umd.edu | "For I was rolled in water,
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  I was rolled out past the pier" - MoB